New to the site? Welcome!
If you haven’t already, I recommend that you download my free ebook by entering your email in the box to the right. Don’t worry, you won’t get spam or sales pitches. Instead, you’ll get an introduction to a whole new way to approach health – and not just mental health – that is liberating readers across the globe from hopelessness and helplessness. Join the revolution and discover how food – not drugs – can heal your mood and change your life.
Dr. Brogan’s Recommended Reading List
Just below, I’ve selected a few posts that I think are the most important posts to read. Feel free to skip down and look at the posts by category and find the specific topics you are looking for.
Articles by Category
We’ve been told a story about depression – that you are born with a chemical imbalance that requires lifelong medication. Get ready for some myth-busting around the benefits, risks, and the truth about what depression is.
- Stop the Madness: Coming off Psych Meds
- Rising Rates of Suicide: Are Pills the Problem?
- Depression: It’s Not Your Serotonin
- Placebo: The Magic Pill
The Paleo Brain
Evolutionary mismatch. This is the term used in the medical literature to encompass the root cause of most modern ills. We are living a lifestyle – diet, stress level, movement and sunlight deficiency, toxic exposures, pharmaceuticals – that is incompatible with what our genome has evolved, over millions of year, to expect.
- Heard of the Glycemic Index? Forget About It!
- Go Gluten Free, Fix Your Brain
- Where do Vaccines Fit into a Paleo Lifestyle?
- On Being Right and Eating Animals
Gut Health and Mood
Over 90% of the cells in our body are non-human. This microbial ecology, found largely in our digestive system, is intricately connected to processes in our bodies that make us healthy – or make us chronically ill. Modern life is wreaking havoc on the healthy balance required for health – including brain health. We are nature and nature is us. See how the latest science supports this truth.
- Probiotics for the Brain
- Steps to a Healthy Microbiome
- Origins of the Microbiome
- Gamechanging Science
I have studied, taught, and published in the field of reproductive psychiatry. I’ve treated women in every stage of the reproductive cycle. And, I’m a working mom. So, I’m acutely interested in and aware of the many ways in which modern medicine is impacting, and sometimes hurting women and their children – more than helping them. In this category you’ll find a wide range of topics of interest to mothers, and mother’s to be.
- Pregnant and Pre-Polluted: 8 Choices for a Healthier Womb
- Dear Class Moms: My Top 5 Optimal Children’s Health Tips
- reFemme: 5 Ways to Get Your Groove Back, Your Power On, and Your Femininity Radiating
- The Continuum Concept: Realigning with Intuition
You may have noticed that my approach to women’s mental health deviates from the norm – from what is being taught in medical school and what is being offered by doctors around the country. I believe that our current model is outdated and disempowering. Take a look at posts in this category to discover a new, powerful way to take more control of your health than ever before.
- Immunity: The Emerging Truth
- The OCD Cure You Haven’t Heard Of
- Do 5 Million Americans Really Have Bipolar Disorder?
- In Honor or Fear and Pain
Drug Side Effects
The truth is that drugs can’t heal. And yet the primary approach to healing in modern health care is to treat symptoms with drugs. This is based on the erroneous belief that we are broken. We are machines that need calibrating and we need chemicals to feel better. But the evidence shows us that drugs can’t heal – and often, don’t even help.
- That Naughty Little Pill. Birth Control Side Effects
- Cracking the Cholesterol Myth: How Statins Harm The Body and Mind
- Antibiotics: The Bad News and the Worse News
- Benzos: A Dance With the Devil