Turmeric “Coffee” Alternative
In the height of my residency training, I was up to 6 cups of coffee a day. Granted, at least once a week, I was awake for a forced-all-nighter, but I took any opportunity to refuel.
Long before I had my health awakening, I did a 3 day juice cleanse, which my reactive hypoglycemic self could barely survive, and I never touched coffee again. That was in 2007.
Since then, I’ve struggled with a replacement. For me, tea just doesn’t offer the ritual enjoyment that coffee did.
Then I met Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez, and he persuaded me that dehydration was an epidemic problem. He wrote about it here. I upped my filtered water intake to 8 glasses a day, felt great, and then winter hit, and I found myself longing for a comfort beverage.
That’s when I found the traditional Ayurvedic beverage called “Golden Milk” – aka Turmeric Latte. It provides not only the comfort of a warm, delicious drink, it also delivers a healing boost!
The most well-referenced healers of all spices, turmeric is known for it’s many therapeutic properties, including reducing inflammation. Turmeric shows incredible promise as a natural treatment for depression, I love this amazing food!
Turmeric Latte Recipe
It’s quick and easy to make, save for an upfront 10 minute prep of turmeric paste.
- Combine 1 cup of water with 1/2 a cup of organic turmeric powder in a saucepan and heat on low for about 7 minutes, adding more water (up to 1 additional cup) if it becomes too dry.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup of unrefined organic coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil, and 1/2-1 tsp of black pepper.
- Store this in a glass container in the fridge.
In the morning:
- Put one teaspoon of paste in a mug
- Add a dash of warming spice like cinnamon, cardamom, clove (or all three!)
- Add raw honey (to taste)
- Pour about 1/3 cup of almond, coconut, or hemp milk (unsweetened Califia Farms is delicious)
- Fill the rest of the mug with boiling water and stir
On those days when you need a little more resiliency, toss in some sliced garlic if you dare!